IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SOCIETY
Signal Processing and Communications Electronics Technical Committee (SPCE)
Meeting at Globecom 2010, Miami. FL, USA
7 Dec, 2010
1. Introductions – The meeting began at 7:00 AM. Attendees introduced themselves. SPCE Chair Tomoaki Ohtsuki welcomed the members to the meeting.
2. Minutes of ICC 2010 – .The draft ICC 2010 meeting minutes were shown and Chair Ohtsuki asked if there were any necessary modifications. There were none and the minutes were then approved to be posted on the SPCE Web site.
3. SPCE Award Ceremony – As previously announced by email, the SPCE Outstanding Service Award was presented to Vice-Chair Hung Nguyen, and he expressed his gratitude to the TC past and present officers to nominate and selected him for this important SPCE award.
3.1 Appreciation to SPCE TC Chair – Although not on the agenda, Past-Chair Tomohiko Taniguchi presented Chair Ohtsuki a plaque with the following inscription “IEEE Communications Society extends its appreciation to Tomoaki Ohtsuki for contributions made in furthering the objectives of the Society as Signal Processing & Communications Electronics TC Chair 2009-2010.” Chair Ohtsuki was surprised and delighted to receive this ComSoc gift of appreciation.
4. SPCE Election – It was announced at the last meeting during ICC 2010 that the SPCE election will be held during SPCE TC meeting at Globecom 2010. Chair Ohtsuki announced that per SPCE TC Policy & Procedure (P&P) the SPCE Nomination & Election Committee (NEC) has identified the following candidates for these positions. They were:
- Chair: Dr. Hung Nguyen.
- Vice Chair: Prof. Nallanathan Arumugam (absent due to visa problem).
- Secretary: Prof. Octavia Dobre and Prof. Hai Lin.
Since there were many new persons attending, Chair Ohtsuki stressed the importance of voting member define in the P&P as “A voting member is 1) an active Technical Committee member; or 2) a person who contributed substantially to the SPCE activities” where the 1stcategory was obvious by the attendance rule, and 2nd category was not as obvious. For this case, Chair Ohtsuki recommended that the voting membership was to be self-nominated based on past activities with SPCE TC such as TPC membership in SPC Symposium.
A closed ballot was rendered and votes were counted as followed:
- Dr. Hung Nguyen had 14 votes.
- Prof. Nallanathan Arumugam had 14 votes.
- Prof. Octavia Dobre had 6 votes and Prof. Hai Lin had 8 votes.
Based on the results, Dr. Hung Nguyen was declared Chair, Prof. Nallanathan Arumugam was declared Vice-Chair and Prof. Hai Lin was declared Secretary. These officer positions are for the term 2011-2012. All elected and present officers expressed gratitude for being selected.
5. Technical Program Committee Reports
A. GLOBECOM 2010: Dr. Hung Nguyen reported that Globecom 2010 is the most successful conference ever in terms of the number of registrants (4,000+). He also reported that SPC Symposium received an Outstand Service Award because it received one of the highest increases in submission percentage compared to Globecom 2009. All four symposium co-chairs were to receive this award during a VIP dinner on Thursday 9 Dec. 2010.
B. ICC 2011: Tomohiko Taniguchi reported that paper selection has completed and good progress has been made.
C. GLOBECOM 2011: Dr. Hung Nguyen reported that the lead co-chair of Globecom 2011 (to be held in Houston, TX) is Yunxin (Jeff) Li from NICTA, Australia, although the other two co-chairs are Hung Nguyen and Nallanathan Arumugam. Dr. Hung Nguyen will attend the Globecom TPC meeting on Thursday 9 December.
D. ICC 2012: Dr. Hai Lin will attend the ICC 2012 (to be held in Ottawa, Canada) TPC meeting on Wednesday.
E. GLOBECOM 2012: Either Prof. Ohtsuki or Dr. Taniguchi will attend the Globecom 2012 (to be held in Anaheim, CA) TPC meeting on Thursday.
6. Other Businesses: Next SPCE meeting will be held during ICC 2011 in Kyoto, Japan.
Adjourn – The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 AM. There were 18 people in attendance.
|Hung Nguyen||The Aerospace Corporation, USAemail@example.com|
|Mark Karol||Telcordia Technologiesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Takahiko Saba||Chiba Institute of Technologyemail@example.com|
|Shigeru Shimamoto||Waseda Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Yimin Zhang||Villanova Universityemail@example.com|
|Tomo Taniguchi||Fujitsu Labs, Japanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hai Lin||Osaka Prefecture Universityemail@example.com|
|Tomoaki Ohtsuki||Keio University, Japanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Octavia Dobre||Memorial University, Canadaemail@example.com|
|Pooi-Yuen Kam||National University of Singaporefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hongyang Chen||University of Tokyoemail@example.com|
|Takaya Yamazato||Nagoya Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tony Q.S. Quek||Institute for InfoComm Researchemail@example.com|
|Hyundung Shin||Kyung Hee Universityfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rabiner N. Madan||Office of Naval Researchemail@example.com|
|Alberto Rabbachin||European Commission Joint Research Centre (EC-JRC)||Alberto.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Andrea Conti||University of Ferraraemail@example.com|